Today, this blog turns two. What have I learned?
1. Creating daily content without any outside direction is really hard.
2. If you do crank out content, people will manage to find it.
3. I still have no idea how random people find this site, but I sure don't mind it.
4. Apparently there are really desperate people out there looking for blogs to post their stuff. As soon I posted my first guest post, I started getting emails from people wanting to pay me to post their crap. Seriously, people, there are all sorts of free places to create a site.
5. Andrew is still the only person to write a guest post for me. (Still waiting, Nelson.) I'm certainly not opposed to running guest stuff, though. I just prefer it be from people I have some connection to.
6. Running an outfit like this is very rewarding and very unfulfilling all at the same time. On the one hand, you spend a lot of time writing, putting thoughts out there and getting practically no feedback, it starts to feel like an echo chamber. On the other hand, when you do get a mention somewhere, it's reason to stick your chest out a little that day.
7. At the end of the day, it still means something to me, and that's still the most important thing. Clearly, if I were doing this for other people, I would have bowed out of the game by now.
8. I've been thinking of putting together a little book of some of my best posts, sort of like a Grantland Quarterly. Would it make any money? Probably not. In fact, I don't know if there would be a single copy printed other than the one I'd have made for myself. It might be kind of handy to have some of the posts I'm most proud of at hand in book form, but it seems kinda silly just to print one for myself when all those posts are still here for free. It's still an idea I've thrown around, though.
9. It's is impossible to write this blog and a book at the same time. I'm going through it now, and I've gone through it during the last couple Novembers. Maybe if I didn't have a full-time job besides I could do both, but as it is, there's only so much writing I can get out of myself.
10. When May rolls around, I'm thinking about posting a monster of a post. If that does come to be, I may post that and step away for another week or so. That will give people plenty of time to digest that and avoid the "tl;dr"
Just a quick note here. I'm sure you've noticed a break in postings here. A lot of that was a combination of spotty internet here at home and an inability to get to Google websites at work. Both of those problems seem to be fixed, but now there is another reason for non-posting. I've got a few different projects I'm working on. One will be posted here and everywhere else I can possibly get the word out once I get a few more things in place. The other one you can read about over here. Another 50,000 words, but this will be a collection of short stories, which should make it easier. And now I can actually get started now that I can consistently get to Google Docs, which I will certainly attest for how much easier it makes big tasks like this.
Anyway, I will pop in again to celebrate this site's 2nd birthday. Until then, keep your eyes peeled for more news!